Physical attack and damage discussion

• I've taken the time to explain my thoughts in detail. No replies required unless you want to and I thought it'd be useful for others especially fairly new players like myself so they can consider hte subject.

I won't use magical classes here, although the concept may be the same. The reason for detail is to determine optimal physical attack versus damage to stat, so please don't reply with "just use as much physical attack as possible" as that implies waste, and I'd rather stack something I'd use. All explained below.

Contents
    1. What a community states "physical attack" does
    2. Factors balancing physical attack to damage
    3. Discussion about "physical attack"
    4. Discussion about damage
    5. My thoughts
    X. Supplemental questions

And here is the discussion:

1. What a community states "physical attack" does

I know broadly from reading about Runes of Magic, that "physical attack" stats are weighed against a mob or boss's defence. Statistically, the damage is derived after the defence has been broken LINK .

I'm still considering how this works in real terms. It would appear that if this is true, a class without physical attack cannot damage a mob or boss if their physical attack is zero, or is less than any mob or boss with a statistical defence. This doesn't sound right.

I can see in game that no amount of physical attack seems to increase the amount of damage. "Physical Attack determines how much of your theoretical Physical Damage hits the target vs its Pdef (LINK).
    Gamepedia reflects this stating "the higher the [physical] attack goes in relation to the defense of an entity, the higher the resulting relative number and the higher the damage output" (http://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Damage)

2. Factors balancing physical attack to damage

It seems the following factors influence damage/physical attack other than buffs including class buffs/debuffs:

- the mob or boss defence
    - DPS and damage, although the difference is unclear (see later)
    - class skill used
    - type of damage the skill and weapons are based on(see Section 4)
    - accuracy stats
    - weapon skills
    - weapon speed and Raid rune (another question at the end)
    - physical critical hits
    - anything else I missed? (please comment)
    - attributes/class (eg, warden: strength increases physical attack as an attribute, and strength increases damage through charged chop.

3. Discussion about "physical attack"

Physical attack is not an attribute (http://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Attributes) so we'll call it a stat here. It seems cumulative based on points, buffs, etc. The total physical attack can be found in the "Melee" section of the character, under "Attack".

It is unclear why the boss has only HP and not a defence stat. Why do mobs and bosses not show their defence? If preceding damage a boss's defence must be broken with physical attack, how is it worked out? If one had a physical attack of 300k, and a boss had 300k defence, would all damage be 100%? What if the physical attack was less than the defence: is the difference calculated for damage, or does damage occur at all?

From my adventures, physical attack has no affect on damage but I don't do many instances. If you have absolute experience using gear with and without physical attack or a balance thereof to determine the impact of damage on the same boss, it would be good to hear about it.

From my view, any excess of physical attack to "get through the boss defence" is a waste as it is not required, just as magical attack wouldn't help a rogue using Shadowstab. As a result, why stack as much physical attack as possible if it won't be used?

4. Discussion about damage

As a warden scout there are various ways to "damage" and it's not as obvious as I first thought. Just on my class there are:

i. "Physical damage", on a weapon
    ii. "Physical damage", on a skill, eg, Joint Blow"
    iii. "Physical damage" on projectiles

iv. "Damage", on some equipment and X runes
    v. "Damage" on skills, eg, "Wrist attack"

vi. "DPS", on a weapon
    vii. "DPS" on projectiles;
    viii. "Ranged weapon DPS", as a skill, eg, "Shot"
    ix. "Main hand weapon DPS", eg, "Charged Chop"

x. "Two hand weapon damage", eg, "Two Hand Weapon mastery"
    xi. "Two hand weapon attack damage", eg, Power of the Oak"
    xii. "Melee weapon damage", eg, "Secret Agreement"

xiii. "Critical damage" on rings

Guesswork examples

- With some of these, a reasonable guess is made, eg, "damage" on chain means "physical damage" - but is this true?
    - What about "Critical damage" on a ring: is it physical only, as the next stat is "Magical critical damage". Why did it not say "Physical critical damage"?
    - What's the difference between a "physical critical hit rate" (on equipment) and "critical hit" (under the character's melee detail).
    - Gamepedia uses the term "critical damage" and not "physical critical hit rate", and the terms imply different things. The page has a number of spelling errors so I'm unsure how accurate the rest of the content is (http://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Damage).

I don't want to know the math behind it all. I'm merely pointing out the various types of damage and one type of physical attack.

5. My thoughts

Some sources state physical attack is solely to "get through" defence. Some sources state physical attack adds to damage, yet there are various types of damage and physical attack may apply to none, some types, or all. I find nothing on this. All skills refer to main hand weapon but not a secondary weapon (I'm a warden/scout), so not sure how a warden rogue with two weapons would fare with offhand damage.

It also seems DPS is based on damage and the rate of speed, whereas "damage" itself (in whatever form!!) is a base damage without a speed modifier such as Raid X or chiron's arrow. More speed equals more damage as more hits are being made. I see no difference however using Raid X. Donations for XII taken. Raid X should also be available for bows. Unclear how it all ties in with global cooldowns otherwise they are white hits (base damage) only.

Important questions:

1. Is physical attack:
    a. solely for breaking defence, or
    b. solely as a damage modifier, or
    c. both.

2. Is there a quick explanation to the 13 types of "damage" listed above?

3. Why warden scouts stack str/physical attack if there's a cut-off point for physical attack rendering the rest of the stat unused.

4. Determining boss defence to know how much physical attack stats to stack (and/or offsetting using buffs etc)

5. What weapon skills do (eg, is unarmed=accuracy; is 2h axe=accuracy, do they stack, etc)

X. Supplemental questions

a. the type of skill and damage and how it works in the real world (eg warden charged chop) and others are based on damage (scout's joint blow). Damage skills do not state "weapon damage" but "damage" which reads as all damage from all stats, not only a weapon. So, if a skill like joint blow is 351 points of damage at level 102, what exactly does that mean
    d. Raid X is +11% attack speed. As speed increases, the "damage per second" should therefore also increase. As a warden scout I have seen no difference using a Raid X in my rate of damage. It may be useful in longer boss fights
    e. The difference between critical damage, physical critical damage, physical critical hit rate.

• Hi there,

Let me try to explain things in a very simplified way, based on my memory, knowledge and experience.

First of all, every class(combo) in RoM can deal physical damage!!

But the amount of physical damage is based on 2 facts:

A) the physical damage of your weapon and
    B) your physical attack vs your targets physical defense.

If your patk if less than 20% of your targets pdef than you will deal the least to zero amount of damage.
    if your patk is 20% of your targets pdef than you will deal a medium amount of damage
    if your patk is greater than 20% of your targets pdef you will deal medium to high amount of damage.
    if your patk is greater than your targets pdef you will deal the highest amount of damage.

In the last case, statting more patk doesn't reward any difference in your physical damage.

DPS is the amount of physical damage divided by your weaponspeed.

Physical critical hit determines how high the hit will be compared to your normal hits

Physical critical hit Rate determines how often your hits will become critical.

Physical Damage:

"i. "Physical damage", on a weapon"

This is the damage you can deal to a target

ii. "Physical damage", on a skill, eg, Joint Blow"

Likewise, this is a x-amount of physical damage dealt to a target, some skills are % based on main hand weapon DPS, so you would like a weapon with a high amount of physical damage and with a fast weapon speed.

iii. "Physical damage" on projectiles

Same as above

iv. "Damage", on some equipment and X runes

Raises the Physical Damage of your weapon

v. "Damage" on skills, eg, "Wrist attack"

Regarding this specific skill, Wrist attack gives a debuff to your target for 5 seconds, lowering his damage by 30%.

DPS is weapondamage divided by weaponspeed, but on projectiles it is bases on ranged weapondamage divided by ranged weapon speed (ie:Shot)
    Charged Chop, or any other skill which gives Main hand weapon DPS, gives a x% of your weapons damage divided by the weaponspeed in your main hand. (so not your ranged weapon or your offhand weapon.

x. "Two hand weapon damage", eg, "Two Hand Weapon mastery"

xi. "Two hand weapon attack damage", eg, Power of the Oak"

xii. "Melee weapon damage", eg, "Secret Agreement"

x. This skill allows you to wear 2h-weapons as well raises the physical damage of that weapon

xi. This skill also raises your weapondamage by X%

xii. This is a permanent buff, which raises your melee (main hand weapon, so not ranged weapon) damage by x%

There are, on the other publishers fora, several posts about the damage formula, although written some time ago (thanks to the legendary Druffbaum) they are, to an extent, still viable ingame.

Patk determines how much pdmg you deal to your target based on the ratio between your patk/targets pdef.

I tried to explain the '13' different damages.

Later ingame you come to a point that there is no more advantage of stacking more patk, so you can fill the space with other stats like Stam or Pdef! Mind you, you still can stack Patk but that would only be usefull with new content where mobs/bosses have a higher Pdef than currently.

Bosses Pdef is a bit tricky and mostly trail and error although Rom-Welten has a nice guideline regarding attributes of mobs.

Weapon-skills determine how much you hit, so a weapontype with a high weaponskill will hit more often than a weapontype with a low weaponskill (not including attributes like Dexterity, runes, buffs etc etc)

There is no difference between critical damage or physical critical damage to my knowledge, although some believe that items with critical damage can also be used my magical classes.

A Raid X should lower your attack speed by 11%, this does NOT however show on your characterscreen.

Edit:

Writing this all down reminded me of an addon a former-guildie wrote way back in ch 2 or ch 3, and I used it till my hdd crashed :(
    Unfortunatly he never had sent it to curse or curseforge, nor did he placed it in the guild-forum.

Basicly it was an addon like Statcompare mixed with Charplan but with steroïds. It showed your character-screen with the attributes all neatly lined up, below it you had your primary class and secondary class general skills, followed by a row of your primary class specific skills and a line of your combo's eliteskills.

When you clicked on one of your skills you could put a level into it and see how it affects your characters attributes. Like wise with permament buffs, when you clicked on a (green) buff, you could activate or de-activate it as well as placing levels into it. I've searched and searched but I haven't found any addon which does the same or similar things :(

Former Battle Nun (90/86) from (Original) server Isiltir, later known as Agenor.
    On Paradise: Amaron (Magical Wd/D)

Edited 2 times, last by Undrentide: Reminds me of an addon ().

• Thanks so much for your time compiling all this. Awesome stuff, well done :)

May I summarise a few key points from my perspective, see if I have it? Not sure if I have nailed number 2.

patk - physical attack
    pdam - all forms of physical damage
    pdef - physical defence

1. Stat physical patk as a damage dealer, although beware too much is a "waste" unless it's higher level content.
    2. Patk increases pdam but only if the boss/mob pdef is high enough to offset the patk
    3. Increased weapon skills = accuracy

Just one issue I picked up: "A Raid X should lower your attack speed by 11%, this does NOT however show on your characterscreen." It states it lowers attack speed but the X rune states +11% implying it increases attack speed so I'm not sure about that, sorry for my newbyness!!

I wrote the post because I noticed it didn't matter how much patk I statted, the pdam was about the same (medium difficulty HoS, HoDL, ZurdS, cenedril places, etc) so your boolean type references fit - where did you get the 20% from though? it sounds good on paper:

If your patk if less than 20% of your targets pdef than you will deal the least to zero amount of damage.

if your patk is 20% of your targets pdef than you will deal a medium amount of damage

if your patk is greater than 20% of your targets pdef you will deal medium to high amount of damage.

if your patk is greater than your targets pdef you will deal the highest amount of damage.

Awesome stuff, Undrentide, I sure do appreciate it and hope others find it useful, too. Thanks again, it does clarify matters. I think the problem of source (eg, where the 20% comes from) is dependent as it's unclear whether that's an official variable.

Well done putting all this done. Sure is good of you.

• Sorry, didn't clarify the abbreviations. :(

Patk = Physical Attack
    Pdmg = Physical Damage
    Pdef = Physical Defense

Likewise for Magical:
    Matk = Magical Attack
    Mdmg = Magical Damage
    Mdef = Magical Defense.

Just look thru the old posts on the other publishers fora for posts of Andreasels (Druffbaum) gives me:

As you can see in the bottom part, the ADF (Attack/Defense Formula)

The number 0.2 equals to 20% of targets Pdef.

With this formula you can calculate how much Physical Damage you roughly do to a mob.

Btw, in your link to the Runes of Magic Wiki / Damage it shows exactly the same formula ^^

Former Battle Nun (90/86) from (Original) server Isiltir, later known as Agenor.

• The pdam based on my patk may not be showing therefore because I'm not doing high enough instances, and that'd make sense. It leads up to a sundry question then, as to how to maximise pdam, not patk, with actual stats. I briefly looked into it and there was no way other than picking the right equipment with the right ghost stats.

Thanks for all the information. I can almost hear my brain whirring away xD

• The pdam based on my patk may not be showing therefore because I'm not doing high enough instances, and that'd make sense. It leads up to a sundry question then, as to how to maximise pdam, not patk, with actual stats. I briefly looked into it and there was no way other than picking the right equipment with the right ghost stats.

Thanks for all the information. I can almost hear my brain whirring away xD

If you see that statting more patk does not yield the results you expected, then you can maximise your pdmg with Pdmg-food (like ie. Doom's Banquet )

• I want to give some more information about physical attack vs. defence of the boss. First of all the formula postet by Undrentide(originally by Andreasels) is correct.

However, most of the people are not interested in calculations so I made a graph of the boss deff in relation to your own patt.

From the graph you see three different areas.

I. Patt below 20%:
    If your patt is below 20% of the boss pdeff you deal a fixed amount of damage, depending on your weapon and damage attributes.
    This is why tanks don't need to stat Patt at all and can still make damage.

II. Linear Range:
    The next point where the formula changes is where your own patt equals the deff of the boss. In this range your damage increases linear with your own patt.

III. Patt > Pdeff:
    Here your damage increase doesn't grow linear with your Patt. In fact if your Ratio Patt/Pdeff grows you'll get closer to the max value of 2* MaxDamage. But as you can see in the graph, your damage is still increasing significally while your patt is not way higher than the bosses pdeff.

To conclude, I want to relate these values to the actual content on Arcadia.

1. Goblin, Cenedril, old content like medium difficulty HoS, HoDL, ZurdS:
    Your Patt should be way higher then the boss pdeff so it is almost irrelevant.

2. Dalanis Nightmare:
    Here I found out, that the deff value of the boss must be very very high. I am always in range one, meaning that stating or buffing patt makes absolutly no difference. You can test it yourself and compare if buffing patt gives you any damage increase. If it does, write me ^^

3. Tikal and future instances.
    The exact deff values off Tikal are a secret but knowing the formula and your own patt values you can calculate the boss deff. I can reveal that it lies somewhere between 1kk and 1,5kk ;) This means that you will either have to debuff the boss to decrease its deff or you have to buff yourself to 1kk patt to get to the third range. And even there, every increase in patt will still benefit your damage.

• Hi there Bollo,

Nice graph, but with a slight error.

With my knowledge, which I gathered during the past 9 years and experience, I can truly say that when your patk is equal with the targets pdef stacking more patk will only slightly raises your damage not significantly, see for example, the runes-wiki.

Snippet:

• Well whether it's slightly or significantly you can decide for yourself by interpreting the data. The graph however is just based on the formula. Just take the part with the Attack Defefense Ratio and draw it yourself :)

ADF is based on (your_patt) / (enemy_pdef) ratio:
    ADF = { 0.1, if ratio < 0.2
    ADF = { 0.5 * ratio, if 0.2 < ratio < 1
    ADF = { 1 - 0.5/ratio , if ratio > 1

Closed the thread.