Making higher gear more attractive

• Hello all :)

I thought a little bit about the server economy and observed for example the auction house prices for dirty and clean stones since the change (a really really good change!) of the arcane transmutor. After the change the people can farm many more stones (clean and dirty) in the same time. This let the prices drops very fast, because a lot more offers in realtion to demands are in the auction house.

But: tiering an item for example from 6 to 10 does not make a huge different from tiering it to 11, except the costs. That's because each tier (6 -> 7; 7-> 8; 8 -> 9; 9 -> 10) gives exactly the same amount of bonus. It is always related to the base tier. That means the higher the people tier an item, the less effort you have. But the costs increasing exponential. I guess that is a reason, why people don't tier higher (buy more stones in auction house or items directly in IS) than before the change of the arcane transmutor.

What will I suggest? The effort of each tier of an item should be higher for each additional tier. Because the costs are always trippled, it could be a bit better effort for next tier, than for the last. I don't talk about trippling the effort for each tier, but some kind of an other function than linear :). For example first tier above base tier is 10%, next is 11%, next 12% and so on instead of always 10% of base tier. Or it could be always 10% from actual tier to next one.

I think it wouldn't effect any class balancing, because everything stays the same in a case of such change, if you compare equal gear. Furthermore the people would also see more difference in the classes if they compare with people with lower gear.

Also the people only farming tiers and trying to sell it, could get more "customers", because more people want to buy more stones.

I hope it is understandable, what I wanted to mention here.

Thank you very much,

Greetings

Approved the thread.
  • The reason prices dropped fast wasn't soley due to this change in supply due to increased usability of the transmutor.

By far the biggest change in prices happened after the 30% patch as market data indicates that a lot of players quit over the following days.

The general lack of new players created a decrease in demand, as well as the absence of any high-tier diamond promotions let prices drop a lot. The market for common goods is beyond saturated and this would be a temporary fix to a general problem, that leads to further problems down the road (power creep, something that the main audience of this change has vividly spoken out against).
    The proposed change of 1% per additional tier would currently increase the average weapon's (t14) damage by 8% (7% if you exclude the first additional tier), the other option presented is nearly identical.

As to be seen with rare goods (Golden Wings) though, the buying power is still there - just on the wrong side of the spectrum.

This problem can be fixed through new players and new player support. What you're feeling is a lack of demand and a strong decrease in buying power of the average player; therefore the market adjusts. The Economy of CoA is pretty much laissez fair. The forces of supply and demand are not adulterated by third party interference all that much; granted, balance changes can be considered such an interference.

Artificially increasing the demand for tiering gear higher will just lock players into playing the class which is best equipped for that role; and when the metagame shifts away from that gear, players have an even harder time adjusting to the new metagame.

The change itself is a good idea, but the circumstances we're in right now would not help this problem in the long run.

• Sounds terrible.

For players to stay competetive that would mean:

a) A very huge time investment.

b) Or a huge money investment.

->i would just quit.

Edit.:

Artificially increasing the demand for tiering gear higher will just lock players into playing the class which is best equipped for that role; and when the metagame shifts away from that gear, players have an even harder time adjusting to the new metagame.

I want to underline this more. With a change like this, its just another step AGAINST players that play classes with multiple equipments.

This was one of the biggest reasons against the new cardsystem. How are you making a suggestion like this afterwards?

~kind regards Noodlez

Closed the thread.