how to debug addons not loaded at all (example: quest helper)

• Hi!

Once an addon is loaded you get errors in the red-dot ui element and you can debug by e.g. writing chat messages or copying strings to clipboard. But what to do if an addon is not loaded at all?

Example: quest helper should give you a /ql slash command, opening a very good and flexible quest list dialog (you can see dependencies, to which quest line a quest belongs etc.). But this /ql never worked for me in CoA. ;(

I have CoA version of quest helper (9.1.1 from Apr 4, 2019), I now removed ALL other addons, restarted the game completely fresh and still /ql just says "nil". Now, the registration of this slash command is there (in ui_questlist.lua, listed in QuestHelper.toc). Similarly, if I comment-in the debug /qh section in QuestHelper.lua, typing /qh also just says "nil". So my guess is that quest helper is not loaded at all. But there is no red-dot button to see errors etc. (Note: the location of addons folder etc. is OK, if I unpack other addons there I can use them.)

So I have two questions

* any idea what I am doing wrong for quest helper? (Is it supposed to run if it is the only addon or are there some dependencies?)

* but more general: how to debug this kind of situations? (I guess, the answer depends on what the problem was; but if my guess that there was an error while loading is right: does CoA leave somewhere an error log from addons not loaded at all on start-up? If so, can I write to this log from an addon code?)

PS: Note: I have only been playing CoA for a couple of days now - I may be missing something very basic! &)

• Are you sure that addon is updated to the 64 bit client we have now? Some addons were updated but others weren't so they don't work.

• questhelper: Good point, it does have .luc files so it needs an update to 64bit. I have the newest version from Curse but it is from April so almost certainly not a 64 bit... I hope it will be updated on Curse soon. :(

(Is this the only reason why an addon could be not loaded at all without any error messages?)

• Yes, at least I cant think of any other issues (as long as the addon itself works properly) other than this one and the one discussed in >here<.

Just a very few addons were intentionally disabled by the client because they became obsolete with some client improvements.

Nevertheless, if you encounter any further problems, feel free to ask about them here in the forum.

Cheers!:thumbup:

Think! It's not illegal yet.

I'm just here for the drama.