Posts by Uure

How about if character list per account was stored in plain-text (lua?) file somewhere, without saved passwords, where

* info would be stored automatically (so most users would not have additional effort to set it up)

* but where users could change order of characters, add extra descriptions to character names etc.

* and the info from this file would be available to lua in game

?

(kind of like the old good autologin2 - how about if you re-enabled it? :P )

Allow extra info per character

In 10.7.0.5000 you disabled autologin2. ;(

One of nice things it has allowed was adding extra text info per character. (Since character names cannot contain spaces everything till 1st space was actually used for logging in, all text after 1st space was just displayed). This was very handy, especially for rarely logged-in alts.

Please add similar functionality: having editable extra info per character, visible when choosing a character to log in.

(Or re-enable autologin2, this might be a simpler solution :P )

Even better:

* add a plain list of character names (on the side of the screen?)

* allow changing order in this list

* log in just by clicking on name in the list (without two-step select + accept)

Changing order of characters in character-selection screen

One of nice things in it was that you could order characters from one account in a logical way, for example have the 2 characters that you play the most as the first two.

Please enable changing order of characters on login screen (or: re-enable autologin2 :D )

Besides storing passwords, it had an option to switch characters. If you were logged in on character xxx , you could type "/camp yyy" and current character xxx got logged out and yyy logged in. You could also relatively easily do this from lua.

Could you add such an option? It does not affect gameplay when you are logged in, it is just a little convenience (e.g. if you usually play on 2 characters and switch between them often, it is much easier to trigger a script once, than to click in ui -> wait ->manually scroll to the other character -> click in ui).

(or simpler alternative: re-enable autologin2 :D )

Unfortunately, I missed most of the anniversary activities because standing AFK in Itnal has higher prio this year...

Still enjoyed what I did! Thank you! :)

I think you got it exactly right how to organize a perfect birthday party:

• invite some friends; or better yet, frogs - they make the best friendly party chit-chat

• yep, frogs do make the party better; and if they drink too much they fly off the walls, or ... just take a nap for a moment...

• do some physical exercises instead of just eating cakes: how about some jumping?

• yep, jumping definitely makes it better

• give out gifts to guests

• yep, giving out presents makes it a perfect anniversary

I'm totally stealing your idea! New York’s hottest club next year will be ... BH. If on my birthday I transform to a frog and I am giving out gifts at the end of BH, this place will have everything: birthday gifts, froggness, acute jumping exacerbation! :D

Happy birthday Arcadia!

Character: Dwerg

Here is a video of the initial, correct situation:

(note that clicks are highlighted in red)

And here is what happens when you start a 2nd launcher while one is already running and there is another client running already too:

* launcher gets reopened, icon vanishes, all good

* but then: without any click the window closes

* so I do it again and this time click fast on the start button

* launcher minimizes, client starts, and you see the icon for a moment but then it's gone

* (and it's not in the hidden icons, and there is no launcher process in task manager, the process got killed)

(But: all good. I don't need this launcher running in the background, let it die, you don't have to fix this if you ask me :P )

I think for me it's something like:

• the first time start launcher > start game > launcher minimizes (and can be pinned to the taskbar)
    • then you can right-click on the pinned icon in the task bar and open new game clients
    • BUT if instead you start launcher again while it's running already (old NoCheckVersion habits don't die :D ) and a client is also already running then at some point this happens
    • basically a launcher starts, if you are fast enough you can click on start game button in the launcher, client starts and launcher minimizes, you see the icon in the taskbar for a moment and then the icon vanishes (and there is no "Chronicles of Arcadia Launcher" background process in task manager either)
    • and also if after starting the launcher you do not click fast on the start game button, the not-minimized launcher window also gets killed

To start the client - fine, I just need to click on start button fast enough :D And maybe it's a good thing that there is no launcher background process? :D :D

Once this happens (it seems: because of 2nd launcher started while old launcher and a client was running already) the situation resets to normal (pinned launcher icon in the task bar) only after closing all clients.

Super low priority:

The IS wheel button resets to "free" in the normal reset times in the morning (together with dailies etc. just as it always has been)

But the new check you have added (about one free roll per day per account) reset at midnight.

This means that if you roll after midnight

* the whole next day interface is just silly - the button says the roll will be for free, and when you click on it you get a message that you have already rolled today ... on the character you are actually currently logged on :D

* this also means that once you roll just once after midnight you are stuck to the 6 hours window between 0:00 and 6:00, or you loose one roll.

But: not that important, I don't think anyone cares. :D (Just it feels like updating your new checks to reset together with the wheel/dailies/everything else reset time in the morning should be a zero-effort task. ;) )

be logical issue

Nope, all is logical and fine

he posted his item and clicked on it

Yep, exactly, to use the ring easily it was dragged to an action bar, and then hovering over this place in the action bar shows (1) the ring that was dragged there plus (2) both rings that are equipped. If you drag a different ring to an action bar then hovering over it will show both it and the two equipped rings, it would be weird if a ring from equipment behaved differently. As long as we compare the item over which mouse hovers with current eq it is fine that we see 3 tooltips.

We would rather add option to optionally disable "Current equipment" tooltips

Yep, this would work too. I'd have it off almost all the time :P

(PS: I wonder if this would not be possible already now from lua, by something like storing GameTooltip API under a new name and defining new one with the old name, that depending on Shift pressed or not would call the old one or do nothing.)

99 times out of 100, when you hover over an item you do not want to compare it with current equipment. Still, it steals a big part of your screen.

Example: drag a ring on an action bar to get the the speed buff when used. Result: your screen looks like this when you try to use the ring from the action bar:

Now imagine you want to do this during an instance, where you cannot afford not to know what is happening... This basically forces you to use a macro to use the ring which is just stupid.

Another example: you craft 200 belts to level armor crafting. Now ... try to sell them manually. With the HUGE tooltip with your current equipment it's soooo easy to misclick and sell something wrong (again, probably everyone uses some auto-selling addon but it's so silly that you are forced to do that because of over-tool-tipping...)

Or: you want to buy an item on AH for ISS. You really do not want to compare it with your current eq, and dep. on where the tooltip pops up it may make using auction house quite difficult...

Even if you are buying a replacement for your weapon on AH, 9 times out of 10 you know what you are looking for, you really do not need to see current eq...

Suggestion:

* do NOT show current eq in additional tooltips by default, just the item you hover over

* if user presses some key (say Shift? Alt?) only then show additionally current eq

My expectation: we will use the extra key 3 times a year: once to compare our eq with someone doing great or badly in an ini, once to search for new weapons on AH and the third case... I still need to come up with. ;)

In other times current behavior is just pure inconvenience...

It seems that in 10.6.1.1005 update today the NoCheckVersion got broken?

It has been working so since the beginning of times:

path\Client.exe NoCheckVersion

allowed starting the client without starting the launcher first. This meant

(1) a bit less memory usage (no launcher)

(2) one less click

(3) but also if my intention was to start 2 clients I was able to do this right away; now you have to wait until launcher loads and only then start again or find the launcher in the quick-icons etc.

If the version did not match the server then you had to start the launcher to trigger updates. But otherwise life was simpler, faster. It's just a small convenience thing, but really, why remove it?????

(If you say was not a specified feature and so it is not a real 100% bug, then please consider this ticket as a "suggestion for a new feature". the suggestion being: please make it work again, make it possible to start a client bypassing the launcher, just as it has always been possible.)

It seems that because of the new zodiak buffs, it was your intention to reset buff assignment to zodiaks for all characters during maintenance for 10.6.1.1005 patch? (I.e. allow players choose the buff for every zodiak again)

It worked most of the time but not for all characters. My best guess is: if a character had more than 1 zodiak summon stone of the same type (say, 241523), say, one in IS backpack, one in partner backpack, then using it now still simply gives the previously assigned buff, the assignment was not reset automatically.

Does not matter that much imo, but still: maybe you could fix this automatically next time? Or players could ask for reset scroll if this is the case for their toon?

BTW 1: using combined UnitBuffsInfo("player") gives correct values (Acradia specific API, with "s")

BTW 2: but I'm pretty sure that UnitBuffInfo( unit, int index ) (without "s") and UnitBuffLeftTime( unit, int index ) based on index as above used to work... Is it possible that it got broken/the meaning of parameters has changed?

Probably I'm doing something wrong... Somehow the indices in UnitBuffInfo( unit, int index ) and UnitBuffLeftTime( unit, int index ) seem to be mixed up...

I have the following buffs

an this code:

Code
    for j=1,100 do 
        local buff_name, _, _, buff_id = UnitBuffInfo("player", j)
        if buff_name ~= nil then
            local buff_time_left = UnitBuffLeftTime("player", j)

DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(buff_name.."-"..tostring(buff_id).."-"..tostring(buff_time_left))
        end
    end

which gives

Fine:

* Fioletowa Aura-1500333-nil

* Cierpliwość Arcadii-1500765-nil

* Opieka nad Wierzchowcem VIII-502986-438.4860534668

* Wiążąca Umowa-620951-nil

* Kryształ Natury-503948-nil

* Sys1501924_name-1501924-nil (probably, no idea :P)

But the rest is mess:

* Modlitwa Zniszczenia-1501466-6136.5874023438 - left time should be nil, seems to be time left for Dusza Trenera Broni-1500352

* Sys1500766_name-1500766-5.334990978241 - this seems like time for Przyspieszenie Kryształu-620703?

* Dusza Trenera Broni-1500352-nil - the 6.1k above would be right

* Przyspieszenie Kryształu-620703-nil - the 5 seconds above would be right

I'm probably doing it wrong: what is the correct way to find matching UnitBuffInfo and UnitBuffLeftTime?

A new release Ikarus-2.1.9-coa-03 is available.

Changes from previous 2.1.9-coa-02 are just a couple of small bugfixes:

• Fixed: for some users house-management frame (top-left when at home) could not be re-opened once it got minimized
    • Small internal fix: concatenation of a table containing nulls
    • Small internal fix: max # of buffs in internal checks changed to 100 from 40 (note: the slider in configuration still does not allow this value and needs fixing)

Loooool, it seems to depend on the icon assigned to the macro! :D

If I keep the icon as above (it is in the same group of icons as IS mounts) it get's saved as a mount :O and then removed on class change (which is "right" - I don't have such mount indeed :D ).

If I choose e.g. an icon from the group icons/guild_drill_ground it is correctly saved, restored and not-removed.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem. For macros dragged into action bars before AU's SSB saves and restores it correctly per class. But now look:

* I drag a macro, the middle icon here: (and save, should not matter)

* flip classes

* when I flip back the bar is first correctly restored first but then availability check seems to run and removes this new icon...

Why I think it's AU's SSB problem: it has a way to save current bars "/ssb save some_name" When I do this in the following situation:

(two macros, and then a mount) the corresponding saved file in character's SavedVariables.lua has:

So the "old" macro (that stays) has type 2 and slot, but the newly dragged macro looks like a mount in slot 10...

Does anyone else have this problem?

PS: I also tried to close CoA and edit character's SavedVariables.lua (changed type=5 page=1 to type=2 and slot=[correct value]). Works immediately after starting the game on this class combo (the checks run but don't remove this icon), but ... after swapping to a different class and back the icon gets removed again. :(

Maybe advertise this as something good and exciting for new players.

Haha, yes! "Join Arcadia! And now even instead of a week of questing to get to the highest level, you can spend two weeks of questing to get to the highest level!"

Sorry, you just cannot spin it as a good thing :D

PS: "New introduction, easier start, more information, better guiding through game": just to make it clear, the plan is important, and it's so good that you guys are trying to do all these things!!! (It's just that this xp factor change does not seem to make this plan any more attractive :P)

Ach, OK. So if it is about encouraging new players, I withdraw my "really does not matter" remark. :P

We analysed many cases.

I'm sure that how they described it, but ...

they are on maximum level quickly (which is not even rewarding) and have no idea what to do

but are you sure that keeping them alone on lower levels with "no idea what to do" would solve their problems? Is there some magic that allows you to understand your class on level 50 but blocks you from understanding it on level 105? It simply takes time no matter what, but ... on lvl 105 you can get more advice from other players, every run see that your damage increases from 0.00001% of what others do to 0.001% because you've learnt something. And if the gap between you and others is so discouraging, why making the gap bigger would motivate anyone?

This way or the other the trick will be always to find a newbie-friendly guild that can guide you through. Are you sure that it will be easier if new players level up slower? Will there be more people willing to help a lvl 50 player (which will probably mean: run through the instance for them, not teaching them anything) than how many players explain now a lvl 105 new player how to buff others and be useful? If current "you get to lvl 105 fast, but it takes time to gather end-game eq" is so discouraging, how "you get to lvl 105 slowly, and then it will still take time to gather end-game eq" is more attractive?

Maybe it's naïve but I liked the idea that new players get to highest level fast; true, they are useless at first but every little improvement is visible, can then be noticed and appreciated. They still are included in guild activities (even if they just drag along at first). Won't work this way if they are kept artificially separated by a level gap longer. This way or the other new players will be pretty useless to others. The question is which way can they become more gradually useful, and which keeps them disconnected from others (or even a burden for others) longer...

I see one "filtering" benefit: if currently lvl 105 character asks to join your guild, the lvl means nothing. If you make it harder to get to max level it will mean this person made some effort. But it only means the filtering is now done differently (did she start gathering eq? if she gets an advice in a guild run, does she remember it and follow next time? etc.).

There are people who just try and whether the effort comes in leveling or at high level will drop out fast. There are people who in both cases make an effort, because e.g. their friends are playing (still it's weird to punish them to spend more time being useless to peers - it's a multi-player game at the end). But there are also people who would put an effort but need to feel useful, feel to play together with others. For those leveling up fast allows them to be included in guild runs etc. earlier, and is a good thing.

I get that doing hard things feels more rewarding. But, I think, there are less people who are willing to take up the effort. For every case "you analysed" when someone dropped out because it was too easy (really???) there are probably a few where someone tried and stayed because it _was_ easy to be a part of a group, spend time building up eq for end-game (and not useless eq that in 2 weeks could be thrown away), spend time earning gold/dias and investing in the future progress.

(Plus theoretically the game should be possible to play for free. Example: Steps minigame has now lvl 100 mobs independent of player level, right? So this is an example of what new players will not be able to do for longer. And they will be useless to the guild for longer with no guild mats from this mini game... [not true, I remembered this wrong] Just an example, there will be plenty others - you can earn dias on lower levels, but it's easier once you are lvl 105, you can get tp in lower levels, but you get much more per day once lvl 105 etc.)

So 10x to 7x is imo a step in a really wrong direction. But - whatever, fine. I just really hope you don't go further this way.

EXP rate to x7 from x10.

Can you..not?

I'm also not sure what could be the reason. Any change that makes new players' life harder is weird.

For older players XP really does not matter. :P If the intention is to slow things down in the future when lvl cap is increased you could make it so that the xp rate depends on player's main-class level and is lower always for the last level before the cap? (now 1->104 with x10, but 104->105 slower, say x7; after next increase of cap to 106, 1->105 with x10 but 105->106 slower)? The only thing is that then ppl who actively play multiple classes, and need to level multiple classes fast, may be a bit annoyed.

More complex than tweaking 1 number in server config, but maybe in a long run this could be a solution (for whatever you guys see as a problem with x10 ;) ).

Maybe do something about Warlock/Champ.

So ... are you going to nerf now wl/ch into oblivion? It's not a class which is strong enough to be insanely popular in end game, but it has a useful edge, e.g. for instance ATF-title quests...

If you need to change it I'd vote for limiting the change to PVP. It would not be so great imo if introduction of PVP made life in PVE much harder for some activities...