Make DoTs Scale Better.

• The idea is pretty simple. Make damage over time abilities and debuffs scale a lot better. Often DoTs are used as combo starters or for other debuffs, such as the rogue shadowstab bleed that leads to the grievous wound for the final hit in that combo, or the use of the warlock/mage DoTs that give the soul brand debuff. The enchancement of damage over time debuffs would increase classes capable of doing endgame by a decent amount. Obviously most of the class combos that rely on damage over time are magic classes, such as priest/rogue, warlock/x (mainly wl/r lol), mage/rogue etc as well as rogue/warrior which has I believe 5 total damage over time debuffs. When I say scaling better I mean increase the damage they do so they aren't just used for the debuffs that come alongside or to create attack combos. An example of a really good DoT is the one that the dragonflies in the chamber of elements (and maybe in inferno I dunno) give which does to me about 22k every two seconds. That is what I would call a good DoT, and it is a lot better than the ones I can do with any class combo which reach about 8k every 2 seconds. You can most likely see why 8k every 2 seconds is worthless when my psychic arrows in the same state do about 1 million each hit, and each casting of that is 2 seconds.

For those who didn't wanna read, make damage over time better so I can play warlock/rogue in endgame... lol.

• You have to be careful with buffing dot's, since it would easily lead to being too op in pvp.

• It is still part of rom, so it has to be considered. Just because you think it is dead does not mean the dev team should just ignore it. That is just a constrained way of thinking.
    I don't mind if the dot's are buffed, I just reminded you to be careful when doing it, like you should be in fact with everything regarding balancing.

• "You have to be careful with buffing dot's, since it would easily lead to being too op in pvp."

That is fair, it very easily could be. I'm not sure how but I would like to make a suggestion of sorts about this.

This will begin with my gear. In my current state, I have 24213 mdmg and 181156 magical attack. When using my magical DoTs, such as mage/rogue, they reach around 20k or 30k per tick. In comparison, my flame does 1.5mil+ per strike in pve. In pvp flame does 53k against a wd/s with no gear. I don't know how DoT scaling works, but I would suggest upping it in pve to somewhere around 100k - 500k per tick, and in pvp in the same situation as with testing my flame in pvp, making it around 5k - 15k per tick so it deals good damage but does not become completely overpowered at the same time.

• I agree with the original post.. mabye make the numbers stay the same for pvp and scale better for pve. I've seen stuns and roots have different times for pvp so it should be doable

• There are problems with this in PVE, a lot of tactics and things don’t cleanse bosses so if dots are hitting harder you get a lot more potential for weird bugs when your dots tick on a boss when it’s supposed to be immune. In general dots are just super abusable in this game.

If you’re trying to make DoT classes more viable, maybe try a different way? Give damage modifiers to skills based on the dots on the boss (ala rogue SS->LB->WA combo). The real problem with magic classes is they rely on the casting time modifier for their skills to hit as hard as melee. I honestly think warlock is set up really well, they have all the self buffs and things all they need is 1 skill that has low cooldown and hits hard. Right now they build up all these great debuffs and then do nothing with them. If they add a skill that can only be used with 4 stacks of soul brand they can make it hit much harder without ruining pvp.

M/R is a better example of a DoT class, the elite skills all focus on dark damage and applying kiss of the vampire. But cursed fang does nothing to increase damage. Some of the elites though are pvp focused and a waste in pve. Here’s a suggestion as an example:

20 elite: Make kiss of the vampire only usable with cursed fang bleed on the target

30 elite: add an effect that changes flame to dark damage, now we actually get to use the dark damage and casting speed buffs.

45 elite: Get rid of the movement speed proc, add an additional casting speed proc on using kiss of vampire for 10 seconds.

50 elite: change from 2 hits to 10 seconds of increased damage

60 elite: Make shadowstab do magic damage, and still apply a bleed.

70 elite: reduce cooldown of kiss of vampire on every dot tick (SS, fang, vampire kiss) instead of crit.

Now you have a class that uses dots to augment the normal mage skills. It has a spammable skill in shadowstab and a traditional mage burn with buffs to flame.

You can kind of see how it takes quite a bit of work to make these types of classes viable, but if you just start buffing dots you end up with a lot of unintended consequences.

Sorry for the long post... now I really want to play my version of m/r lol

Closed the thread.