Reducing XP Rate

• Not sure where to post this or if I should start a separate thread but I see from a recent patch note that you will reduce EXP rate to x7 from x10.

Can you..not? Don't know about anyone else but I think x10 is just right and if anyone has a problem with it you should make it possible for players to switch x7 or x10 on their own.

I know it's not guaranteed but just a thought :)

• EXP rate to x7 from x10.

Can you..not?

I'm also not sure what could be the reason. Any change that makes new players' life harder is weird.

For older players XP really does not matter. :P If the intention is to slow things down in the future when lvl cap is increased you could make it so that the xp rate depends on player's main-class level and is lower always for the last level before the cap? (now 1->104 with x10, but 104->105 slower, say x7; after next increase of cap to 106, 1->105 with x10 but 105->106 slower)? The only thing is that then ppl who actively play multiple classes, and need to level multiple classes fast, may be a bit annoyed.

More complex than tweaking 1 number in server config, but maybe in a long run this could be a solution (for whatever you guys see as a problem with x10 ;) ).

• Official Post

Hello,

High exp rates makes new players get up to maximum level within a moment without learning game mechanics during regular gameplay. It ends that they are on maximum level quickly (which is not even rewarding) and have no idea what to do, what to run or how to play tactics or use special class skills. They are lost and mostly ending their journey. We analyses many cases.

We are starting large process of making game more understandable for new players, which will cover many aspects. New introduction, easier start, more information, better guiding through game.

There is already exp modifier that allows you to decrease gained exp to x0-9, but it is not default yet and still brings same issue since availability of high exp rate without effort makes it too often chosen without thinking about long term consequences.

As well, with upcoming patch containing this change, leveling to 104 and 105 is easier as of fixed house bonuses. And now you can still fill many exp orbs before patch.

Please don't forget that there is dozens of exp potions of buffs that were basically useless until now as of total caps. After change, with their usage you will be able to reach same speed.

Greetings

• if that's the case I'm still not sure how reducing it to x7 will even do anything since that's still pretty high..might as well change the default to x1 :)

Newbie revamp? That's interesting, but If you're going to smooth over the newbie experience there is a helluva lot more than just tweaking exp rate, giving "more info" and a "new start" since they can still just burn through dailies. Do newbies even do the group/dungeon quest in lower zones? They probably just pass it and go to the next zone until the cap..if they don't outright just boost to 80 and face the same problem.

To be honest, it sounds like the team is set with this change so my feedback probably doesn't matter but I still think it's better to just let players decide their own rate. Let the lower rate be the default if you must, but having an option to keep x10 would still be nice.

I do appreciate the reply though and perhaps an elaboration of what this "revamp newbie experience" will be like would be enlightening.

• Ach, OK. So if it is about encouraging new players, I withdraw my "really does not matter" remark. :P

We analysed many cases.

I'm sure that how they described it, but ...

they are on maximum level quickly (which is not even rewarding) and have no idea what to do

but are you sure that keeping them alone on lower levels with "no idea what to do" would solve their problems? Is there some magic that allows you to understand your class on level 50 but blocks you from understanding it on level 105? It simply takes time no matter what, but ... on lvl 105 you can get more advice from other players, every run see that your damage increases from 0.00001% of what others do to 0.001% because you've learnt something. And if the gap between you and others is so discouraging, why making the gap bigger would motivate anyone?

This way or the other the trick will be always to find a newbie-friendly guild that can guide you through. Are you sure that it will be easier if new players level up slower? Will there be more people willing to help a lvl 50 player (which will probably mean: run through the instance for them, not teaching them anything) than how many players explain now a lvl 105 new player how to buff others and be useful? If current "you get to lvl 105 fast, but it takes time to gather end-game eq" is so discouraging, how "you get to lvl 105 slowly, and then it will still take time to gather end-game eq" is more attractive?

Maybe it's naïve but I liked the idea that new players get to highest level fast; true, they are useless at first but every little improvement is visible, can then be noticed and appreciated. They still are included in guild activities (even if they just drag along at first). Won't work this way if they are kept artificially separated by a level gap longer. This way or the other new players will be pretty useless to others. The question is which way can they become more gradually useful, and which keeps them disconnected from others (or even a burden for others) longer...

I see one "filtering" benefit: if currently lvl 105 character asks to join your guild, the lvl means nothing. If you make it harder to get to max level it will mean this person made some effort. But it only means the filtering is now done differently (did she start gathering eq? if she gets an advice in a guild run, does she remember it and follow next time? etc.).

There are people who just try and whether the effort comes in leveling or at high level will drop out fast. There are people who in both cases make an effort, because e.g. their friends are playing (still it's weird to punish them to spend more time being useless to peers - it's a multi-player game at the end). But there are also people who would put an effort but need to feel useful, feel to play together with others. For those leveling up fast allows them to be included in guild runs etc. earlier, and is a good thing.

I get that doing hard things feels more rewarding. But, I think, there are less people who are willing to take up the effort. For every case "you analysed" when someone dropped out because it was too easy (really???) there are probably a few where someone tried and stayed because it _was_ easy to be a part of a group, spend time building up eq for end-game (and not useless eq that in 2 weeks could be thrown away), spend time earning gold/dias and investing in the future progress.

(Plus theoretically the game should be possible to play for free. Example: Steps minigame has now lvl 100 mobs independent of player level, right? So this is an example of what new players will not be able to do for longer. And they will be useless to the guild for longer with no guild mats from this mini game... [not true, I remembered this wrong] Just an example, there will be plenty others - you can earn dias on lower levels, but it's easier once you are lvl 105, you can get tp in lower levels, but you get much more per day once lvl 105 etc.)

So 10x to 7x is imo a step in a really wrong direction. But - whatever, fine. I just really hope you don't go further this way.

Edited once, last by Uure: I described wrong how Steps minigame scales with level ().

• Maybe advertise this as something good and exciting for new players.

Haha, yes! "Join Arcadia! And now even instead of a week of questing to get to the highest level, you can spend two weeks of questing to get to the highest level!"

Sorry, you just cannot spin it as a good thing :D

PS: "New introduction, easier start, more information, better guiding through game": just to make it clear, the plan is important, and it's so good that you guys are trying to do all these things!!! (It's just that this xp factor change does not seem to make this plan any more attractive :P)

• For now we should just maybe wait and see what happenes.

I agree reducing xp now as standalone change sucks.

Personally i would not mind questing / leveling longer when the Questing experience would be better / more enjoyable . Doing the old zones consists of 90% Kill X mobs X times , Bring that from Point A to B or Talk to Person X which is boring af. With talaghan the Quests got more "complex" and i really enjoyed that , eventho chaning most quests of the game that way is probably unrealistic.

Greetings

If you identify a UFO as a UFO , then it becomes an FO. Unless it has landed , then it is simply an -> O

• Personally i would not mind questing / leveling longer when the Questing experience would be better / more enjoyable .

The questing experience from 1-55 is definitely the least fun part of the game. It gets better around 60+ but not by much.

Honestly, I'd like to see how they try to revamp the newbie experience unless they go full cata on it :P